Sunday, November 9, 2008

VETERANS DAY

Last year my wife, my youngest son and I went to a Native American Pow Wow in honor of Veteran's Day. As all the veterans walked in a line behind the native dancers, and then stood in line to introduce themselves, I felt both humbled and proud. I don't believe I could find the words to tell you the pride I felt when my youngest son (The Warrior from the Sea) introduced himself.

I never met my own father. He lost his life serving as a marine on Iwo Jima in 1945. Twenty five years later I was serving in Viet Nam as an Army helicopter Pilot. Twenty five years after that, my youngest son serving in the Marine Corps returned to Iwo Jima as part of the delegation attending the 50th anniversary of the flag raising on Mount Suribachi.

He told me how he felt when he walked up onto the beach. He said he and his comrades didn't know where to step. Each place they put their foot, a Marine may have died. He said it was like walking on a shrine. Like walking where God had walked. He brought me some of the useless, precious black volcanic sand from Iwo Jima. It's all I have of my father. It is one of my most treasured possessions.

Tonight I went to another Pow Wow honoring Veteran's Day. This time at the Yakama Nations
reservation in White Swan, Washington. Again all the veterans followed the dancers in a circle following the American Flag. When we introduced ourselves, they handed us a blanket and a cap from our branches of service. Other things followed, a folding chair, a bag of peanuts, candy, and deer jerky. All among us there was a feeling of kinship. The Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, and even the Coast Guard. As we walked down the line, shaking hands with each other, it was as though we were one family. The old, young and all in between.

I wish my youngest son had been able to be there.

If you know a veteran, or have veterans in your family...Take the time to call them, or see them this Veteran's Day. If they have passed on...remember them. If you have some one serving now, let them know they are remembered and honored. Give them your pride, your love, and respect. As much as the United States needs them...they need you.

May God bless our military, and may God bless the United States.






I wish my son had been able to be there.

No comments: